Welcome to A Million Miracles.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable, progressive and terminal condition called Idiopathic Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (PH). In retrospect, we can trace this illness back to at least January of 2004, but you can have it for several years before you notice any symptoms. My diagnosis came after I was hospitalized for what ended up being almost three weeks - spent consecutively in three different hospitals - two of them being in ICU units. Over the past year we have been sending email updates to family and friends concerning my medical/physical journey as well as lessons I'm learning as a result.

These are those emails. There's no rhyme or reason as to when I send out another email update. It just happens when "the Spirit moves." But whenever I write and send one, I will also post it on this blog.

Friday, October 23, 2009

#51 - The Good, The Bad & The Nervous

Date Sent: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I know it’s been ages since I’ve sent an update. Life has been busy for the Feitners. Aaron has spent the past 8 weeks working (Monday thru Thursday) in Pittsburgh, and then coming home for the weekends. We sold our house, and bought one just north of Pittsburgh outside of Cranberry Township. Well, we’ve almost bought it – technically that happens this coming Friday (October 30th). I’ve been busy being a single-mom and packing for our upcoming move (with the help of friends). I’ve been so busy with daily life, that I’ve wondered if I was going to find time to send one more update before the move, apparently I am, ‘cause here it is!

THE GOOD:

As you know, I’m on a continuous iv that helps me breathe, and I also take a pill twice a day. Well, that pill can cause severe liver damage, so I have to get blood work once a month (before they ship the next bottle of pills) to check and see how my liver’s doing. For the past several months I’ve gotten a call from my doctor’s office letting me know that those results were moving closer and closer to the “bad numbers.” Each month he decided to “keep watching me.” Last month when I got that same phone call, I was asked if I drink tea. Well, yes I do – I love tea, especially when the weather turns chilly! Apparently for some people tea (hot, cold, green, fruit, etc.) can affect their liver. So, I was instructed to quit ALL tea and see if that helped keep me on the pill a bit longer. Today I received a call from the doctor’s office and was told that BOTH of the liver enzymes are ABSOLUTELY NORMAL again!!! YAY!!! So, still no tea for me, but at least my liver’s not being damaged (this month, anyway). Only God knows if my liver’s “healed” because of His hand, or because of quitting tea, but either way, PRAISE GOD!

THE BAD:

I’ve not been feeling well lately – had all the symptoms of the flu. I know that my compromised lungs make me a “high risk” flu patient, so on Wednesday I called my pulmonologist to see what I should be on the look out for just in case. After listening to me, the nurse spoke to my doctor, and he decided to do some precautionary blood cultures in case I have something bacterial that needs an antibiotic. So, I went in on Thursday for the blood work, and got a call this afternoon with the first set of results. Apparently I do NOT have the flu. I have a cold. So, that’s good. Oh yeah, and I also have SEPTICIMIA … again. My mother came to town on Wednesday night (when I told her that I was sick and needed help with the kids), so she’s watching the boys at my house, while Aaron and I are driving back to the ER in Pittsburgh (he’s driving as I type). We’re still dialoguing with the doctor about what to do long-term to stop these infections (most likely a medicine change). But for the short term, they’ve got to get rid of this infection (which most likely means pulling this hickman catheter out). He told me to expect to be there a couple days (yeah – um – I’ve been through this once already). I’m REALLY hoping and praying that this time around I’m not delirious, or vomiting constantly, or, or, or, OR…. Sigh. We could all use LOTS of prayers right now.

I really try not to be a complainer, but the last time I had this, the only way to describe it is PURE HELL. I’m praying that since they caught it earlier it won’t be quite as rough this time - delirium and not being able to open my eyes or move is quite unpleasant. I tried to smooth over how bad it was in my previous emails, but frankly put – septicemia KILLS. The research I did said it was like a 50% mortality rate for the category into which I fall. I’ve survived it once so far, and God’s promised me that I won’t die till I’m healed from Pulmonary Hypertension, but that sure doesn’t make the experience any less difficult. So, please keep ALL of us in your prayers extra this week.

THE NERVOUS:

Like I mentioned earlier, we’re supposed to settle on our new house next Friday. This means that we’re packing the huge moving truck next Wednesday, and driving to Pittsburgh next Thursday. Based on my previous encounter with septicemia, there’s NO WAY I’m going to be in ANY form to do ANYTHING regarding the move. I might even still be in the hospital! I know that the move can happen without any more input from me, but I feel responsible for making sure everything runs smoothly. “Managing” falls more under my strengths than Aaron’s. I already know I won’t be lifting even ONE box, but it’d at least be nice if I could be part of it. (Here’s a quick ‘thanks’ for all of the people who’ve offered to help us both here and in Pittsburgh!)

My biggest fear about moving to Pittsburgh is that we’ll be so far from our support network, and it looks like I’m going to need support immediately. Guess God’s wanting to make sure I’m completely dependent on Him once again. Ummm… I get the point. HE should be my chief support network, not just the people around us.

So, thank you for all of your prayers for our family. We ALL need strength, prayers, and love right now. I know God will work all of this out – it’s not a surprise to Him. But, it sure is a surprise to US.

Peace to you and us.

Julia

1 comment:

  1. You have been on my mind, heart and prayers greatly today and now I know why. I'll talk to Matt and see how I can help in a practical way. You know that managing is a skill of mine as well and I'd love to help any way I can.

    ReplyDelete