Welcome to A Million Miracles.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable, progressive and terminal condition called Idiopathic Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (PH). In retrospect, we can trace this illness back to at least January of 2004, but you can have it for several years before you notice any symptoms. My diagnosis came after I was hospitalized for what ended up being almost three weeks - spent consecutively in three different hospitals - two of them being in ICU units. Over the past year we have been sending email updates to family and friends concerning my medical/physical journey as well as lessons I'm learning as a result.

These are those emails. There's no rhyme or reason as to when I send out another email update. It just happens when "the Spirit moves." But whenever I write and send one, I will also post it on this blog.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

#47 - Chocolate, Chocolate Everywhere, But Not a Bite to Eat

Date Sent: Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM

As I type this, I'm sitting (quite comfortably) in a reclining chair in Hershey, Pennsylvania - self proclaimed "Chocolate Capital of the World!!!" For those of you who know me on Facebook, you're already aware what it is that I'm doing here. For the rest, though, let me tell you a story.

On Sunday two weeks ago (July 19th) the boys and I went to spend a week at my mother's (while Aaron worked). As the week progressed I slowly began to feel more and more tired, finally culminating in me spending Tuesday (July 28th) mostly in bed (back at our house). We had several theories as to why it was I was tired, and finally (this morning) were given a definite answer - I had an blood infection (septicemia), and the group of nasty little bacteria had latched onto my hickman catheter (the one going in my heart).

On Wednesday the 29th, after two days of an inexplicable fever, and a sudden bout of nausea and dizziness, we decided it was time for a trip to the ER. So, a lovely neighbor lady (thank you!) came over to watch the boys. A few hours later I was put on oxygen and admitted to the Medical ICU at the Hershey Medical Center. At that point I was admitted to the ICU not because of the severity of my symptoms, but rather because my continual iv infusion requires a more "specialized" approach to care. Since this is one ICU I have NOT visited before, I was more than happy to oblige, so as to help round-out my soon-to-be-official-connoisseur-degree in "ICUs of Western and Central Pennsylvania."

Thursday was worse than miserable, and Friday was even worse than that. Since I was running such a high fever, and had uncontrollable nausea and **ahem ahem**, it was decided by some powers that be, that I would feel better drugged up on anti-nausea medicines. Yeah - um - NO! I'd so much rather puke up my spleen than be so doped up that even though I'm totally conscious, I am unable to open my eyes or move my hand for hours on end. Simply. Unpleasant. This went on for two days until I began to turn the corner and was coherent enough to put up a big enough fight to stop the druggings. (In the hospital's defense, I was throwing up A LOT, and I do understand that they REALLY NEEDED to stop that....)

When I was in the ER, I was started on some pretty heavy-duty antibiotics (one of which is most likely the cause of the **ahem ahem**). I was actually put on THREE antibiotics - one specifically for possible Swine Flu (which has since been ruled out). It turns out that one of the original ones I was put on was the RIGHT ONE for the type of bacteria growing, so Praise the Lord for that blessing! I am now only taking one antibiotic, and that's been switched from an iv to a pill form since my stomach has finally settled.

In addition to the antibiotic running its course, what helped me finally turn the corner, was that on Friday (just before "closing time") my infected hickman catheter was removed. Aaron and I were both QUITE NERVOUS about the process, because we had been through one change over of medicine way back when (in a different hospital) when I was given a bolus (too much) of medicine, and "coded" and was sent back to the ICU. But, God gave the resident performing most of the procedure (who was a former anesthesiologist - and VERY familiar with veins) a steady hand and a clear head to do the math calculations required for correctly priming the temporary tube that's going in through my neck. The procedures were almost painless, and didn't take too long - both of which made me extra grateful for God's hand though all of these experiences.

After spending the weekend regaining strength (and working those nasty anti-nausea drugs out of my system), today I finally sat in a chair (twice now!), washed my hair at the sink with a nurse's assistance, and have been taken off the full-face mask of high flow oxygen, and am now on 4 liters through a nasal cannula. I'm really hoping that another day or two in the hospital will find me breathing regular room air during the day, and only using oxygen to sleep (like happens at home). But, as with everything else, God has that in His more than capable hands!

Sometime tomorrow I'm supposed to be taken down to the operating room, and a new (bacteria-free) hickman catheter will be put into my heart. And then after a round of x-rays to make sure it's placed correctly, the meds will be switched from going in through my neck to the hickman. We're praying for another seamless changeover! It hasn't been determined yet how long I will need to be observed after that takes place, until I can be discharged (or even IF I'll have enough strength right afterward). So, the current hope is that I'll go home on Tuesday, though no one's making any kind of promises. They ARE all trying to get me out of here before our house sells, though. **HUGE SMILE**

Pulmonary Hypertension doesn't go away (that is until God fulfills His promise and heals me - but only He knows when that will be!). ALL the doctors here are ultra impressed that I've had the hickman catheter A WHOLE EIGHTEEN MONTHS without this happening before! My mind says "eighteen months compared to my whole lifetime, that's me going through this A LOT OF TIMES!" Not a pleasant outlook! I would be VERY content NOT to have this happen again EVER!!! So, I'm praying that this is one experience for which God decides "a little goes a long way!"

Anyway - you've probably forgotten your curiosity about this update's title, and what in the world it has to do with septicemia. I've been trapped in Hershey, PA for five days now, and still HAVEN'T had ANY Hershey's chocolate! I hope that if you ever come to visit, the town treats you a little better! **SMILE**

Thank you for your continued prayers as I go through the rest of this hospital ordeal, and then once I'm home and continue to recover. Also, thank you to those who stepped in during this time, and helped out around the house and with the boys. Thank you also to those who offered, but haven't had a chance to yet.

~ Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment