Welcome to A Million Miracles.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable, progressive and terminal condition called Idiopathic Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (PH). In retrospect, we can trace this illness back to at least January of 2004, but you can have it for several years before you notice any symptoms. My diagnosis came after I was hospitalized for what ended up being almost three weeks - spent consecutively in three different hospitals - two of them being in ICU units. Over the past year we have been sending email updates to family and friends concerning my medical/physical journey as well as lessons I'm learning as a result.

These are those emails. There's no rhyme or reason as to when I send out another email update. It just happens when "the Spirit moves." But whenever I write and send one, I will also post it on this blog.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

#48 - Wheelchair Rides

Date Sent: Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I was discharged last Monday evening, just in time to get some gentle hugs from the boys before they went to bed. Alex was SO EXCITED when Aaron told him that it was time to go to the hospital to bring me home - and that Alex could come along! The ICU is nowhere for an impressionable 4 year-old to visit, so he waited in the waiting room with my mother while Aaron and the nurse brought me out. I'll always treasure the "MOMMY!" and huge sigh of relief he let out when he was able to run over to my wheelchair and give me a huge hug! He didn't mind that I was still on oxygen. He was just so relieved to see me - he didn't want to let go. Alex climbed up on my lap, and the nurse wheeled both of us out to the car. We ALL had huge smiles on our faces - even the nurse, who said it's been years since she got to wheel an excited little boy too.

It wasn't until I was ready to be discharged that the docs finally told me how serious my condition was - though I knew that septicemia can kill. I had thought that part of what I was experiencing was because of the battery of drugs that were being administered to me. But alas, no - it was the septicemia running its course. God has spared my life once again. He truly meant what He promised me - that I'm not gonna die as long as I have Pulmonary Hypertension - I will be healed first. But between you and me, I'd be very happy not to have any more "close calls." Most people don't go to the ER just because they've had a fever for 24 hours. But if God hadn't impressed Aaron and me that I needed to go in ... I probably wouldn't be here today.

I've spent the past eight days at home regaining my strength. The first night home I barely made it up the stairs for bed. Today I'm finally really starting to feel like myself - almost. I haven't done any cleaning, laundry, dishes, or bathed the kids yet. But I feel like maybe I can pick up at least one of those duties. It's been a huge blessing that my mother postponed her trip to Zambia to help us (once again!).

I just wanted to send a quick "thank you" to all of you for praying for us during my recent hospitalization. God's brought us through, and I'm slowly regaining my strength. God has truly turned our "mourning into gladness!" (Jeremiah 31:13b)

~ Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment