Welcome to A Million Miracles.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable, progressive and terminal condition called Idiopathic Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (PH). In retrospect, we can trace this illness back to at least January of 2004, but you can have it for several years before you notice any symptoms. My diagnosis came after I was hospitalized for what ended up being almost three weeks - spent consecutively in three different hospitals - two of them being in ICU units. Over the past year we have been sending email updates to family and friends concerning my medical/physical journey as well as lessons I'm learning as a result.

These are those emails. There's no rhyme or reason as to when I send out another email update. It just happens when "the Spirit moves." But whenever I write and send one, I will also post it on this blog.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

#11 - It's PARTY time!

Date Sent: Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:53 AM

I've never been a "wild/crazy" person, but for those of you who really knew me during my college days know that I never passed up any chance to have fun! The past few years I haven't felt like my "old" fun self. A few months ago I even apologized to Aaron that I'm no longer the person he married - and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring her back. Now we know why, and even better - she's beginning to emerge again! I realized that "fun Julia" was coming back when Alex and I were sitting on the couch this week, and I "tackled" and proceeded to tickle him - over and over again.

Today is an anniversary date - so let's CELEBRATE!!!

It is one month ago today that I was discharged from the hospital in Pittsburgh after an almost three week stay in various ICUs. Even though my daily struggles continue, they are getting less and less as each week goes by. At the moment, it's just on rainy days (because of the humidity) that I feel poorly. I think that I am ready to start doing more around the house, and in the next few days plan to begin. I have learned much more how to pace myself, and that should help keep me from regressing as I aim to increase my activity level.

This week Aaron and I visited my cardiologist, and it was a highly encouraging visit! I have been given the green light to drive. He was a bit hesitant to say okay because he said that my pulmonary hypertension seems "touchy." (I guess it is since a cold sent me to the hospital overnight, and I needed oxygen again one rainy day last week - I do still use it all the time to sleep.) But despite any hesitation, he said YES!! I joked with my mother that during my teen years I never snuck out of the house. But since I'm allowed to drive again (and she's here to watch the kids), I might be tempted to do that in the middle of the night sometime!

He also filled out the form for me to get a handicapped placard to hang in my car. I don't feel very handicapped today (praise the Lord!), but there's no way I'd have the energy to tote two kids with me to Walmart - especially if I have to park a mile from the door! So, I'm swallowing my pride and will get one. I can't wait for the day when God finishes the healing process and I don't need to use it anymore.

When I was discharged a month ago, the iv medication I continually take was set at a dosage of "10." The doctors said that people usually begin to feel "quasi-normal" at "20ish." Generally the whole time the person is on this medication (which is for life or till they need a transplant) their rate is increased by "1 or 2" every other week. Well, I'm STILL at "10," and already feel quasi-normal!!! So, my doctor decided not to increase it. YAHOO!!! He is willing to let me be the judge of how I feel and if I think it's necessary. God is healing me enough that I don't need it increased! We need to keep praying that this stays true, and that it will eventually need to be DECREASED. PRAISE THE LORD THAT HE'S HEALING ME!!! (And shame on me for being so impatient - His timing is always perfect.)

After the doctor appointment Aaron and I went on a date (without any kids) to TGIFriday's. After being on a low-sodium diet the past two months, the food tasted horrible to me. Guess my taste buds have adjusted to my new way of eating already! Aaron had plenty of left-overs for lunch the next day (practically my whole meal). But I'm so excited that I have the energy to go out!

More good news - my sister and her toddler are coming from California for a long visit to help out. My mother has been with us for the past seven weeks, and this will give her a chance to go home for a few days (not the whole time - she wants to visit also). Robbi and 'Lil Paul arrive late tonight and will be here till the 16th! Isn't family amazing! (Maybe I should have warned her of the HUGE to do list I've created for her to get done during this "vacation!" *smile*) This is going to be one full house - four adults and three children all squeezed into three bedrooms! Yippee - I can't wait!

Since the last email I sent, we've been informed of even more states and countries that have people faithfully praying for us. Our current total is 21 states and 10 countries! I find it so much easier to pray for someone when I can put a face to their name, and since there are so many people out there who are forwarded these emails, I decided to attach a family photo. This is the first family photo we took (and were pleased with) since our latest addition. It was taken March 30th - Harrison's actual due date. He was six weeks old! I've also included one that was taken in the ICU the day after Harrison was born (I don't remember this photo being taken). Later that day I was transfered to an ICU in a different hospital, and we had to leave Harrison alone at this one. I can't explain how far God's brought us so far, but maybe the photos will give you a little idea.

Since this is a day to celebrate, I'm not going to bog you down with the various trials we're going through (other than the obvious one - my diagnosis). But I will give some points of prayer.

- God's continued healing of my lungs and heart. Also His healing of my energy level/stamina, and the return of my "old" self. I know you can't turn back time, but I'd like to stop being so boring. I used to be incredibly spontaneous, laugh a lot, and had a "fun" outlook on life (even the mundane aspects of it). I want "ME" back. (p.s. if you didn't know that Julia, it's because I didn't show it when I was feeling shy.)
- Peace for Aaron as he continues to try to work through all that's going on (let alone be productive at work). I can't imagine what it's like to be in your early 30s with two young children, and face your wife's possible death for the second time in three years. He needs peace - loads and loads of peace!
- God to continue to use our trials to bring Him glory, and us (and other people) closer to Him.

So, pour yourself a yummy drink, and pull up a chair. I've been out of the hospital for a WHOLE MONTH and God's CONTINUING to heal me!!! Keep the prayers coming, He's not done yet! But for now....

IT'S TIME TO PAR-TAY!

~ Julia Feitner

No comments:

Post a Comment